My parents collected antique crocks – the genuine non-reproductions, the really heavy ones you don’t know what to do with, yet fear them breaking. I have one in each finished room as a waste paper receptacle, but when I needed a little something to go beside an occasional chair in the library and found myself with one too many crocks, I decided to steal things from my house to put together a planter. These babies are heavy and breakable, and I was going to be working with plants and soil, so I used my go-to gloves: Tuff Chix work gloves from SafetyGirl.
I believe in upcycling so I walked around the house to see what I had, that I could use. It’s like a miniature treasure hunt. I had a few cuttings in plain pots by the kitchen sink. I had a spider plant gone wild in the soil of a floor plant. I had some raffia left over from a sympathy basket. I had a plastic kitchen container whose lid hasn’t been seen since the crocks were new, I’m sure. I placed the kitchenware upside down in the bottom of the crock to raise the level of the plants, then set the pots inside. Using tumblers filled with water, I took rooted shoots from the spider plant, and set those around the edges. I topped the whole thing off with the raffia, to hide the plastic pots.